Sunday, February 17, 2008

Tragedy at NIU in DeKalb

This time the news of the university shooting has struck VERY close to home. DeKalb is located seventy miles from Freeport and many, many residents either attend currently or have graduated from NIU - myself and my son, Andrew, included. When he called me last Thursday with the news at about 3:15 pm we had no idea it was going to be so disastrous. Andrew graduated with a Biology degree and I finished with a degree in Economics so, we are both familiar with the area of Cole Hall.

My heart goes out to the family and friends who spent some uncertain time waiting to hear that their loved ones were safe. It also makes me worry for my daughter who teaches at a law school in Iowa because we see, again, that it can happen any where. We have reinforced our knowledge of emergency procedures at the college where I work but we are still left with unease and worry.

No comments: